zone map info
Southern Living Plant Collection Blueberry, I Declare 2 gallon
The I Declare Blueberry produces flavorful berries with a nice firmness and impressive shelf life. Each berry is large and brightly colored, making them as attractive as they are delicious.
The I Declare Blueberry is of the species Vaccinium corymbosum, and it has moderate chill requirements. Traditionally, 500-550 hours below 40 degrees to produce fruit.
Spring finds this Blueberry covered in attractive and petite bell-shaped white flowers that will soon become berries. Furthermore, this is an early season bloomer and it generally blooms about a week and a half after the Climax Blueberry.
This deciduous shrub has a controlled, upright growth habit. So it matures to only 4-5′ H x 3-4′ W. For this reason, it makes a fantastic addition to decorative mixed garden beds as a functional and attractive accent.
Try it as a border plant, container planting, hedge, or mass planting!
- USDA zones 7a-9b
- Mature Size- 4-5 feet high x 3-4 feet wide
- Recommended Spacing – 36 inches
- Used in containers, and landscapes
- Full sun to partial shade
- Deciduous- foliage loss in winter and new growth in spring
- Blooms white flowers in spring
- Ships dormant winter through early spring
- Plants are trimmed at times when shipped to promote plant health
- Average shipping height – 10-14 inches
Tip: Be careful not to plant them too deeply. The root ball should be just below the surface (one-quarter to one-half inch).
- Dig holes twice as wide and twice as deep as the roots of the plant.
- Space bushes 3-4 feet apart in a row, with at least 8 feet between rows.
- Set the bush in the hole with the root ball just below the surface and its roots spread out. Pack the hole tightly with soil.