zone map info
Southern Living Plant Collection Blueberry, Takes The Cake 2 gallon
The Takes the Cake Rabbiteye Blueberry produces flavorful berries with a nice firmness and impressive shelf life. Each berry is large and brightly colored, making them as attractive as they are delicious.
The Takes the Cake Rabbiteye Blueberry is of the species Vaccinium ashei ‘Vernon,’ and it has moderate chill requirements. Traditionally, 500-550 hours below 40 degrees to produce fruit.
Spring finds this Rabbiteye Blueberry covered in attractive and petite bell-shaped white flowers that will soon become berries. Furthermore, this is an early season bloomer and it generally blooms about a week and a half after the Climax Blueberry.
This deciduous shrub has a controlled, upright growth habit. So it matures to only 4-5′ H x 3-4′ W. For this reason, it makes a fantastic addition to decorative mixed garden beds as a functional and attractive accent.
Try it as a border plant, container planting, hedge, or mass planting!
- USDA zones 7a-9b
- Mature Size- 4-5 feet high x 3-4 feet wide
- Recommended Spacing – 36 inches
- Used in containers, and landscapes
- Full sun to partial shade
- Deciduous- foliage loss in winter and new growth in spring
- Blooms white flowers in spring
- Ships dormant winter through early spring
- Plants are trimmed at times when shipped to promote plant health
- Average shipping height – 10-14 inches
Tip: Be careful not to plant them too deeply. The root ball should be just below the surface (one-quarter to one-half inch).
- Dig holes twice as wide and twice as deep as the roots of the plant.
- Space bushes 3-4 feet apart in a row, with at least 8 feet between rows.
- Set the bush in the hole with the root ball just below the surface and its roots spread out. Pack the hole tightly with soil.